top of page

Continuing Education 

Continuing education is key to staying ahead of the curve and advancing your knowledge as a practitioner. It is also required to maintain your New York State license. Another benefit of membership is Continuing Education record keeping in the New York State Dental Association Registry.


Anthony Ficara, DDS, MS, Chairman

David Mitola, DDS President

Michael Maloney, DDS 

Gregory Vallecorsa, DDS

Kendra Zappia, DDS 

Continuing Education Requirements for Licensure in NYS



New Dentists in First Year of Practice

Your residency program will count as 60 credits, however, you will still be responsible for taking the courses mandated by New York State before your license expires.

Licensed Dentists

The NYSED will grant an adjustment to all licensees, regardless of registration renewal date, to utilize self-study for any coursework taken during the period from March 1, 2020 – January 31, 2023, provided that it is taken from a Department-approved provider and is in an acceptable subject area for the specific profession. Coursework taken outside that timeframe must meet the continuing education requirements in each individual profession’s laws and regulations.

New York State’s Mandatory Continuing Education law requires that a dentist obtain at least 60 credit hours of CE every 3 years. The New York State Education Department ultimately decides which courses qualify.

Requirements for each three year registration period:

Practice Management courses are not accepted by the State Education Department and cannot count towards the 60 credit total.

Dental Anesthesia and Sedation

Dentists must apply for a certificate with the New York State Education Department in order to administer general anesthesia, deep sedation or conscious sedation (parenteral or enteral route with or without inhalation agents) in their professional practice at locations other than general hospitals.

Mandatory Prescriber Education Guidance

Prescribers licensed under Title Eight of the Education Law in New York to treat humans and who have a DEA registration number to prescribe controlled substances, as well as medical residents who prescribe controlled substances under a facility DEA registration number, must complete at least three (3) hours of course work or training in pain management, palliative care, and addiction. The course work or training must be completed by July 1, 2017, and once every three years thereafter, pursuant to Public Health Law (PHL) §3309-a(3).

Anesthesia Practice Guidelines

Pursuant to Education Law § 6605-a and Commissioner’s regulations, only a provider with a Dental General Anesthesia certificate, can administer deep sedation or general anesthesia.

bottom of page